As of today, more than 9,000 students have begun the application process for UVM. It is exciting for us to see the excitement build as students set up their Common Application accounts and complete steps in the process. I want to share some information and a few tips to filling out the Common Application for UVM.
- Be sure to complete all parts of the Common Application. We read it all! From the biographical information and the family information, to the extracurricular activities and short answer, we use this information to get to know you better. We think of the application like an interview – you are telling us a story about your list four years.
- Our supplement is short (no additional essays!); don’t let the brevity fool you! We use the information to understand a student’s residency as well as the 1st and 2nd choice majors.
- Take some time to describe your roles in extracurricular activities. We are interested in knowing not only which activities you joined but also some details about what you did.
- Use the additional information section to provide explanations for any information not asked in the application. You may have experiences during high school as well as an unusual educational history that would benefit from additional explanation.
- If you answer yes to either of the disciplinary questions, please be sure to include a full explanation of what occurred in addition to reflection on what you have taken away from the experience.
Our Guidelines for Applying are really helpful and are a concise summary of the criteria and required parts of the application. We also have an application checklist to ensure you don’t miss any steps at UVM. Once you have submitted your application, don’t forget about the rest of the application – put the steps in motion to have your transcript and letters of recommendation sent.
I look forward to discussing specific parts of the application in the coming weeks. In the meantime, good luck working on your application and submitting it to UVM. I look forward to moving through this process with you this year!